Sunday, February 2, 2014

Flourless Banana Pancakes - Worth It?

Sundays are lazy days at my house. It's the one day I can sleep in, take my time sipping coffee and get to experiment with new recipes. It's the one day where if I want to spend the day in my PJs I do. A day to look out my kitchen window at the woods behind my house and see what wildlife is there. It's my day to relax and prepare for the week ahead.

As I'm making my coffee, noticed the bananas on my counter were rather on the ripe side, perfect for making banana bread or in this case flourless pancakes, why not?

Flourless Banana Pancakes
  • 1 1/2 large bananas, ripe to overripe (200g) *
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder

  • Place the bananas in a bowl and mash with either a fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks of banana. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together, then combine the eggs with the bananas and add the baking powder. I also added 1/2 tsp of vanilla. Mix together. Very easy.

    At this point it looked more like a scrambled egg mix than a pancake mix, but I continued on.

    Griddle had been pre-heating with some cooking spray on a medium-high temperature. I poured the lumpy batter on the griddle, sized small to medium. In hind sight, they should have all have been kept small, silver dollar sized. The pancakes cooked and when one side turned golden brown tried to flip them. Unfortunately the medium sized pancakes fell apart when flipped. Finished cooking and gave them a taste.

    To be honest from what they looked like I expected them to taste like scrambled eggs with bananas in them, not the most appealing. First bite went in my mouth and it tasted more like bananas than eggs, thank heavens. The consistency and texture was more like a crepe than a pancake. Put some butter and syrup on it, and continued eating. Fixed a plate up for my son, he said they tasted fine and asked for seconds. A pretty good sign.

    Overall it was a very simple recipe, taste was fine, just not fluffy like traditional pancakes are. Paired with some fresh berries would add to the taste and visual appeal of this recipe. Will probably make this again when my bananas get too ripe.

    Share with me what gluten free pancake recipes you've tried, did you like them, how was the taste?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    RBF – It’s My Face, Deal With It!

    THEM YOU “What’s wrong?” “Nothing…” “Are you ok?” “Ah, ya...I just said nothing.” Duh “Why are you grumpy?” “Grumpy? OM...