Monday, January 20, 2014

Yummy Gluten Free Banana Bread

I have to admit, I'm not much of a baker. I'm capable of baking a cake for my son's birthday or for one of my parents, but I'll admit - it's out of a box. I like to day dream that if I had more time I would bake cakes and cookies and muffins and send them all into school for my son's class to enjoy and take them to my neighbors and... Then my son hollers, "Mom, when's dinner?" and I'm jolted right back into reality and the fact that baking takes a low priority in my life. So I can't take credit for making this recipe, a friend of mine made it for me, but I can take credit for eating it. :-)

What do you think of when you hear "Gluten Free?" -- tasteless, dry, boring, why bother even eating it...I'm sure there are more. But surprisingly, if you read your ingredients and try new things, there are wonderful products and recipes that are good for you AND taste good. Yes, I said taste good. This recipe falls into that category. With the exception of the sugar, it's healthy too, extremely moist, an all around good recipe. Double bonus, my son loved it and recommended it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...gotta love kids. 
 
Gluten Free Banana Bread
 
2 c gluten-free all-purpose baking flour 
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 c mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium)
1 c sugar (may also use other sweeteners)
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/3 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla or vanilla extract
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)

  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, bananas, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).

Nutritional Facts

1 slice equals 140 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 89 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
 
Let me know what you think, if you make any modifications and if your family and friends enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RBF – It’s My Face, Deal With It!

THEM YOU “What’s wrong?” “Nothing…” “Are you ok?” “Ah, ya...I just said nothing.” Duh “Why are you grumpy?” “Grumpy? OM...