Thursday, September 20, 2018

Not Lying, Quick & Easy Dinner

I won't tell you that I love to cook every day, I don't. I also won't tell you I'm above stopping at McDonald's, I do. I try but sometimes I just don't want to cook or even think about being healthy. It's not right but it's honest. So when I find a recipe that's quick, easy and my kid asks for seconds, I'm more than happy to share. This recipe is Lemon Garlic Shrimp Pasta and it's literally a one-pan dish. Woohoo...less clean-up for me. Here we go!

Ingredients

  • 8 oz linguine (you can use angel hair or whatever pasta suits your fancy, gluten free, chickpea...it'll all work)
  • 2 TBS olive oil (don't need anything fancy here)
  • 6 TBS butter (use real butter, not margarine, trust me)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced (you can use pre-minced from the jar and if you love garlic, up the cloves, I usually double it, but no one has to deal with my breath)
  • 1 TSP red pepper flakes (use more or less depending whether you like a smidge of heat or alot)
  • 1 - 1.25 lbs shrimp (do yourself a favor and get fresh shrimp already peeled and deveined, this is about quick and easy)
  • salt & pepper (have at it, whatever floats your boat here)
  • 1 TSP Italian seasoning (you can also throw in your own mix, just don't let it overpower the other flavors)
  • 4 cups baby spinach (or broccoli, peas, carrots, yellow or red bell pepper, Swiss chard...they would all work)
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated, shredded, Romano, Kraft...it'll all work)
  • 2 TBS parsley, chopped (I've skipped it both times, you won't miss it)
  • 1 TBS lemon juice (fresh or bottled, I've used both and it tastes same)
Directions
  1. In a large pot cook the pasta of your choice according to directions. Don't over cook or it'll turn into a mushy pile of gloop. Drain & set pasta aside.
  2. In the same pan, heat olive oil with 2 TBS of the butter (real, skip the fake stuff), add the garlic and red pepper flakes for just a couple minutes until you can smell the garlic cooking.
  3. Add the shrimp, salt & pepper to taste cook until the shrimp start to turn pink, don't cook them all the way. Add Italian seasoning and the veggie of your choice. If you chose frozen veggies, microwave them prior or you'll lengthen the cooking time. Cook until all ingredients have been heated up.
  4. Add pasta back in, remaining butter (cutting up the 4 TBS makes melting easier), parsley (if you bothered with it), Parmesan cheese and stir till butter is melted.
  5. Sprinkle on some lemon juice and extra cheese if you're a cheese-a-holic like me.
  6. Slap it on a dish and voila, dinner is served.
Hints
  • Pay attention to the shrimp and try not to overcook. Add the veggies as the shrimp are turning pink. If you wait until the shrimp are all pink, that means they're already done before you're finished cooking all the ingredients.
  • Adding a sprig of parsley at the end or a lemon wedge serve as nice garnishes if you're looking to make it a bit more fancy.
  • Colored veggies will help paint a pretty picture on your plate.
Bottom line, this is a quick and tasty mean in under 30 minutes. Give it a try and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RBF – It’s My Face, Deal With It!

THEM YOU “What’s wrong?” “Nothing…” “Are you ok?” “Ah, ya...I just said nothing.” Duh “Why are you grumpy?” “Grumpy? OM...