Saturday, July 7, 2018

Review: Go ReadyMade - Skip It

As you know, I'm always on the lookout for a quick, easy way to feed the kiddo. Between working more and running from practice to practice, it's challenging. Fast food, while convenient, is not that healthy and won't help me or my child health-wise. So when I run across a coupon to try a new meal service and it's reasonably priced, I give it a shot. Today's review is for Go ReadyMade. This service is a little bit different where you just have to stick it in the oven, microwave, grill it and eat. I was thinking, "Awesome! It's a healthy Hungry Man TV dinner." (Do they even still make those anymore?) Let's just say Hungry Man was a lot tastier.

What they claim is no prep required, heat and eat meals, delicious meals with no hassle. The box arrived, it was well packed and had the requisite ice packs.
Took everything out and there were four containers with the meals. The meat was in a air sealed package so not to contaminate anything else (that's good right?). The sauces were in little baggies and the directions were on the back of the package cover. The font for the directions is on the small side, which meant I had to pull out my cheaters to make dinner. Keep in mind, I hate wearing my cheaters (like I am right now typing this), it's a reminder that I'm getting old, lol. Which I am, but I don't want reminded of this fact 😒 First up was the Cauliflower Mac and Cheese. I popped it in the over for 25 min. My son and I tried it and it was actually tasty. I'm thinking we're off to a good start. A couple days later we tried the Steak with Cauliflower Mac and Cheese (my son had this one) and the Smoky Chicken Fajitas (I gave this one a whirl). The steak had to be opened up, which was no small feat, and cooked, I chose the grill. Decided to microwave the Cauliflower Mac and Cheese this time so I wouldn't also have to turn on the oven. At the same time I microwaved the fajita meat. Verdict...while the Cauliflower Mac & Cheese was still tasty, the chicken and the steak itself left a lot to be desired. The steak, while not fatty, was not tender. You also need to make sure that you season it well or it'll be bland.
The chicken was tough but edible due to the fajita fixin's. Not the most enjoyable meals we've had.


I decided to let the subscription continue. A couple more steak meals arrived, a couple pork and a couple pasta. One of the meals had arugula on the side, just arugula, nothing else to put in the salad and you had to provide your own dressing. To cook the meat, you had to remove the arugula and put it in a bowl or something...it just wasn't an efficient process. The meat, in each instance, you had to season the heck out of it and they still weren't that tasty plus the sauces they provided, didn't make it much better. I cancelled the subscription after a couple weeks. As with most of these meal services, the signup / cancellation process is easy. In addition, you can swap out your meals for what looks more appetizing to you. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this service to you based on the flavor of the meals / quality of meat we had. There was just something missing.

As always, let me know your thoughts on meal services / subscriptions. Next up for review: Sun Basket

No comments:

Post a Comment

RBF – It’s My Face, Deal With It!

THEM YOU “What’s wrong?” “Nothing…” “Are you ok?” “Ah, ya...I just said nothing.” Duh “Why are you grumpy?” “Grumpy? OM...