Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Wantable v. Stitch Fix - Installment 1

There's a couple things that I've learned about myself in my 40+ years, first - I have horrible fashion sense, second - I hate to shop for clothes. I can put outfits together that match, but are they stylish and trendy, probably not. To understand what's "in" right now, I'd have to flip through magazines, read articles and watch what "the stars" are wearing. Honestly, I don't have the time or desire. That doesn't mean I don't want to look good at work or elsewhere. Next, I hate shopping, probably because I don't know how to put outfits together and because trying to find pieces that fit and are comfortable is painful. I know what you're thinking, I'm a female that doesn't like to shop, what's wrong with me? Nothing! I simply haven't prioritized it high in my I've Gotta Get Stuff Accomplished pile. I'd rather pull on a pair of jeans and shirt then go watch my son play whatever sport is current for the season.

The dilemma I've run into is work. Rule of thumb is dress for the position you want. Ugh...which means that I need to step it up a bit. I'm in IT middle management currently and would like to go a couple steps more on the proverbial corporate ladder. Which means I need to dress a bit nicer. Don't get me wrong, I don't go to work looking like a slob, but I tend to be a bit more business casual than I should. But I really don't want to be in boring suits and blouses all the time, I've gotta have color and pattern mixed in with the straight business look, again, I'm horrible at putting it all together. Which has lead me to check out two services: Stitch Fix Wantable. Both will put together a shipment of five items for you to review in the privacy of your own home for a $20 charge that can be applied to your purchases for that shipment. Once you get your package, you have five days to try on the items and decide if you want to keep or return them. The items you don't want can be returned free of charge.

The stylist fee, amount of time to try on the items and free returns is the same for both companies. Wantable also offers this service for cosmetics, intimates, accessories and fitness, they took my shoe size but it wasn't clear if shoes could be included. Stitch Fix only offers clothing and shoes at this time; however Stitch Fix has a referral bonus of $25 for each friend that signs up under you once they place their first order, Wantable has $10 for referrals. In addition, Stitch Fix allows you to pick different frequencies for your deliveries from every two to three weeks to every other month; Wantable only has monthly at this time.

"How will the stylist know what I like and don't like?" you may ask. Each service takes you through a survey where you list your sizes, how you like things to fit, what styles and colors you like and don't like, both are similar in what they ask which gets you the end result of providing some information to the person putting your box together. 
Screen from Stitch Fix style profile

Screen from Wantable style profile

Screen from Wantable style profile
As you can see from the screen shots, the questions are similar just the mechanism to select what you like and dislike are slightly different. I suppose some folks have their preferences, personally I found both sites easy to use and easy to complete the questionnaires. 

In the next installment, I will show you pictures of the items each sends, prices and how closely it matches my style profile. I'll share with you the return process and my overall feelings about each service once they deliver.

If you have experience, good or bad, with either service, I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to share pictures of the items you receive, prices, issues, etc. 

Until then, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RBF – It’s My Face, Deal With It!

THEM YOU “What’s wrong?” “Nothing…” “Are you ok?” “Ah, ya...I just said nothing.” Duh “Why are you grumpy?” “Grumpy? OM...