Sunday, December 29, 2013

Ingredient Review - Three Whey Proteins

There are so many whey protein products on the market, you could spend your entire life researching and trying each product, eventually driving you bonkers. You'll get recommendations from each store, all the online reviews (even this one), recommendations from trainers, friends and strangers. Your choices will depend on what you're looking for in a whey protein supplement. Keep in mind this is not a meal replacement review, see my earlier blog on this topic.

I'm new to using supplements and will be the first to admit, I'm learning as I go. I decided to add whey to my diet simply for the fact I wasn't getting enough protein daily for my fitness goals. I lift 4 times a week (yes, right  beside the guys), run 5-6 times a week, and other activities. If you lift, the recommendation is 1 g of protein per pound of body weight. That can be hard to do eating only whole foods, it was for me. Whey protein shakes are a quick, easy way (no pun intended) to increase your daily protein intake. They can be mixed with water, milk, coconut water, etc. You can throw it in a blender and add yogurt, fruit, peanut butter, etc. for more of a smoothie concoction.

There are three types of whey protein:
Whey Concentrate
Whey Isolate
Whey Hydrolysate

Each has it's pros and cons which I won't go into here. The deciding factors on which product I use/try are: 1) zero artificial sweeteners and other processed artificial crap 2) taste/consistency when mixed w/water 3) cost 4) no adverse physical reactions. I've used all three products below personally. From strictly and ingredients perspective Legion Supplements Brand is a solid choice.

If there are products you've tried, let me know your thoughts.

  GNC Brand - Natural True Athlete- Natural Legion Brand - Natural
Flavor Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate
Cost (2 lbs) $39.99 $33.99 $37.97
Buy Again No Yes Yes
Serving 1 scoop/38.2 g 2 scoops/30 g 1 scoop/31.6 g
Protein 24 g 20 g 26 g
Calories 150 110 102
Total Fat 2.5 g 1.5 g .41 g
Saturated 1 g 1 g .12 g
Trans Fat 0 g 0 g 0 g
Cholesterol 60 mg 65 mg .5 mg
Sodium 95 mg 120 mg 46.8 mg
Potassium 290 mg 0 mg 0 mg
Total Carbs 8 g 4 g 1.4 g
Fiber 1 g 1 g 0 g
Sugars 3 g 1 g .2 g
       
Vitamin A 0% 0% 0%
Vitamin C 0% 0% 0%
Calcium 15% 12% 13%
Iron 6% 5% 2%
L-leucine 0% 0% 4 g
Ingredients Protein blend (whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate), Cocoa powder, Natural flavors, Cane sugar, Cellulose gum, Lecithin, Xanthun gum, Stevia extract, Sodium chloride Whey protein concentrate, Cocoa powder, Natural flavor, Inulin, Xanthan gum, salt, Reb A (Stevia extract), Bacillus coagulans, lactase digestive enzyme, papain, bromelian Whey protein isolate, L-leucine, Cocoa, Natural chocolate flavoring, Xanthan gum, Stevia extract





No comments:

Post a Comment

RBF – It’s My Face, Deal With It!

THEM YOU “What’s wrong?” “Nothing…” “Are you ok?” “Ah, ya...I just said nothing.” Duh “Why are you grumpy?” “Grumpy? OM...